Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Books Having Personal Ads

HELP!

Leelu had the brilliant idea of writing personal ads for library books, to put on a display to draw attention to and encourage use of books in the 800s. Literature and poetry don't circulate all that much and, at least in my library, are mostly ignored by patrons unless they are working on a project for an English or writing class. People only read the 800s if their grade depends on it. While brainstorming, she came up with the personal ad concept, and before I could protest, she assigned to me the task of writing this ad and then left. Sneaky Leelu.

BUT IT'S TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

The following are ads I came up with, and while they might work, perhaps you guys can come up with something truly brilliant.

This is what I have so far.

    Classic book seeks reader. I’m looking for someone who is into my wardrobe of leather, and will help me keep my binding nice and tight. Feel free to devour me and then share me with your friends.

    Classic book seeks reader. I like long, lazy afternoons at the beach, curling up in front of a roaring fire, a romantic restaurant for just the two of us, and traveling anywhere interesting, as long as I’m with you.

    Classic book seeks reader. Don’t judge me by my cover. I’ve been accused of looking a little dog-eared, but you should read between the lines – I’m all substance. Let's go on an adventure together!

    Library book seeks reader. No long-term commitment necessary -- I’m too free-spirited to be tied down. Take me home, have your way with me, and then bring me back for the next person to enjoy. There’s plenty of me to go around.

And while we’re at it, if you have a section of books for sale at your library like we do, some of my coworkers and I came up with this one.

    Orphaned book needs reader. If you adopt me today, I will be your most appreciative and loyal book. I’ll always be happy that you picked me up, I’ll melt in your hands, I’ll tell you great stories, and I’m the best listener you’ll ever know. People and pets will come and go from your life, but I will always be there for you. Please give me a forever home.
I'm sure each area could have designated ads, kind of like "Take me to your leader" style for SciFi, and maybe something in lolcat for the teens, but we're trying to create an appeal to the 800s. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm. Cool idea! Your first one sounds a little naughty ;)

Would it work if you chose a few selected titles to work with?
eg. Sturdy Greek Hero Seeks Adventurer. Join me and I'll take you to the ancient city of Troy. I'll introduce you to the gods. I can show you some real excitement!

yeah lame, but you get the idea? (BTW, that was my attempt at the Iliad.)

Leelu said...

Best. HV. Ever. :D

I didn't assign the task solely to you, if it helps. I'll be doing some, and Lummox will be offering his ever-so-slightly deranged opinions as well. Such as this for Beowulf:

Tall, dark, and hairy in search of a real sweet heart. Loves: mother. Hates: braggarts. Would give right arm for a good woman.

Travelin' Tracy said...

I like the two in the middle...but I have no good ideas from my end! Good luck with that though!

Kate P said...

For the 800s, maybe. . .

I'm a Survivor
I've stood the test of time
Let me tell you a story
Excellent dinner companion

???