Monday, July 13, 2009

Green Tip of the Week

Many plants (and the microorganisms in the soil) have air-purifying properties that can remove toxic gasses and pollutants from the air we breathe, as well as adding oxygen and humidity to the atmosphere.

For instance, a study posted on WebMD here, revealed that six mere hours of having English ivy in an area can remove 60% of the airborne mold and 58% of airborne feces (ugh), the results of which can be life-altering for people who have allergies and asthma.

See also the NASA research about which plants excel at purifying the air.

For further reading, I recommend How to Grow Fresh Air: 50 Houseplants that Purify Your Home or Office, by Dr. B.C. Wolverton.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I've always thought the ivy look was neat, so it's cool that it has a very 'green' benefit, too!

I just can't get past thinking "but what about the spiders?!"

Happy Villain said...

The book, How to Grow Fresh Air scores 50 common houseplants based on how much they filter from the air, how much humidity they add, how easy it is to grow them...and how resistant they are to insect infestations! (Even though spiders aren't bugs -- they eat them.) But I'm guessing all indoor houseplants can get bugs, particularly ivy because it can bloom those delicious berries that birds and insects love. Maybe then you should get a bamboo palm or an areca palm, which use terrible things like formaldehyde, chloroform, acetone, benzene and trichloroethylenes, and they make food out of them. Boston ferns rank high up with these palms, as well as Gerber daisies! Who doesn't want a big pot of Gerber daisies in their bedroom window? Or peace lilies!?

Cat. said...

I'm so happy I can see your green tips... (though I still snicker when I type that)

Can't use this one: I have a black thumb and don't want to work out anymore bad plant-killing karma. ;-) But I'll be awaiting the next one with anticipation!!

Happy Villain said...

Cat:
Oh thanks, now I'll be thinking Green Tits when I write them up. But I'm glad you enjoy them, tips or tits. :)

Travelin' Tracy said...

This is so good to know. In fact, Joe is always complaining about being stuffed up and honestly, I think he has developed allergies. Once we get jobs...ha...then I think I might buy a few more plants for the house!