Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Have a Dream, Too

Last Monday was Martin Luther King Day and my library was open, unlike many libraries in the area and the country.

Boyfriend Extraordinaire marvels at this every year, though I’m not sure why, and when he saw me on Yahoo at work on Monday, he felt the need to rub it in.

B.E.: Why are you at work???

Me: Um, because it’s my job.

B.E.: It’s a holiday!

Me: Oh, yeah, well, we’re only allowed to celebrate the major holidays.

B.E.: No holidays with minorities, huh?

Oooooooooooooooh, snap! Go ahead and use it if you think it will help you get MLK Day off. Let me know how that goes.

5 comments:

Cat. said...

rofl

We're open on Columbus Day, President's Day, and that sort of thing, but closed on Memorial Day and Christmas Eve. There's no rhyme or reason, is there?

I think we should have Arbor Day off, personally. lol

Dragon Reads said...

We were open for MLK and lost New Years Eve 2008 since two of the board members got a bug up their fanny's and snowed the new director into thinking the day was busy, busy, busy! (We were not!)
The worst was the time the board decided we should open on July 5 when 4th of July fell on a Sunday. Nobody worked Sunday and making us work was more bang for the library buck. According to the door counter, we had twenty patrons in 12 hours. Cat is right--no rhyme, no reason, and definitely no common sense.

Vampire Librarian said...

You're not alone. Library X was open too, but then again, we're open on the 4th of July too. But we do get comp time for working. Hope you got some lovely comp time.

Leelu said...

I have nothing to add, but my verification word is "trump," which is kind of cool.

Anonymous said...

Comp time? I can't stop giggling...