Sunday, September 19, 2010

Here's a New One

Girl comes up to the desk and says, "Can you help me at the computer? I need to get into my gmail account and print something."

I say sure and ask what she's struggling with.

She answers, "I know how to get there on my phone. I use the internet on the cell phone all the time, email, all that stuff, but I don't know how to use the computer to get to gmail."

She had no idea how to use the address bar and found the keyboard confusing.

Wow. Are computers obsolete already? Are handhelds the only way young people compute now? Or was she just *special*?

1 comment:

libwitch said...

There has been a report widely circulating lately (Pew, maybe or an ALA report) with some very high figures as to certain populations that rely pretty much entirely on their phones to go online. It is largely determined by income - the lower your income, the less likely you are to use a computer to go online, and more likely you are to rely on your phone.

We are already starting to see the implications of this in colleges. What students *cant* do on a computer is ever-increasing!